A Penny for Mummy's Thoughts

It has been such a busy time adjusting to Matthias' daily routine that I have yet to pen down my thoughts so far. This boy has been a wonderful addition to me and YJ's life. Wonder why we put off having a baby for so long (since we have been married for 4 and 1/2 years by the end of this year already). We figured that little Matt is more like me than Daddy cos:

  1. He can roll his tongue like Mummy (Daddy cannot...)
  2. He has Mummy's big feet...
  3. He is more quick tempered (Very fierce when crying for milk...)
  4. He's got Mummy's double eyelids (although not obvious, but can still see a bit...)
  5. He's got Mummy's nose...

There have been many lessons learnt these few weeks. My boss in Shanghai asked me "How is Motherhood?" Guess what my answer was. I replied " Tough, tougher than I thought. Working on a US IPO was easier". These were my exact words...Haha, people who know me well or work with me would know and describe me as a workaholic. Now I still compare work to taking care of a baby...When I told my colleague back in Shanghai about this, he said I should stop thinking about work and focus on my baby now.

I guess one thing I really learnt is to be more patient. Learn to listen to little Matt's cries and try to see what he is crying for or unhappy about. And it's been really tough, taking care of him alone, with YJ back in Shanghai, especially during the nights, where I have to wake up to warm up milk to feed Matt, then change his diaper, put him to sleep (usually he needs to be carried...), then express milk for next feeds. And this can happen 2 times during the night. And by the time morning comes, I am zonked out...There were a few times when he was crying for milk in the middle of the night, I felt like stuffing his mouth up...I HAD to drag myself awake and out of bed to prepare his milk. It was especially bad at first cos Matt's day and night timetable was overturned (He was living on US timezone...Maybe cos he was born at night...). But I can tell it is getting better as he stays awake for a few more hours in the day and then sleep a bit more at night. I must say I am proud of him for the last 2 nights, where he fell asleep in his little cot beside me, without me having to carry him.

Oh, one more thing. His pooing and peeing...He was naughty for a few days...Poo pooed when I was changing his diaper... Got his poo poo all over the sheets covering his little cot and the ends of my pyjamas pants.. Then guess what, he peed into his clothes... I was really so mad...Happened for a few times...Now I get "terrified" of changing his diapers for him...But my frustrations left me whenever I see him back into a peaceful slumber after his diaper change. Guess this is true meaning of motherhood...

Well, I may not have done the best for little Matt so far, but I have definitely done my best to take care of him... Hopefully as I learn more about his habits and routine, it will be easier to take care of him...

0 comments: