Christmas Wishes from Daddy and Mummy...

Christmas has always been a time of thanksgiving, celebration and for reflecting on the year that has passed. This year, Mummy and Daddy have one more reason to celebrate because God has not just given us His One and Only Son, but He has blessed us with a son of our own.

Looking back on Matt's birth, we saw the fulfillment of some of God's promises that we would like to share:

  1. Before we set out for Shanghai in April 2006, Mummy and Daddy attended the Apostlic Night at Trinity to seek God's directions for our lives. I remembered that one of the promise prayed upon Mummy that night was that 'She would take on a new and bigger role as she embarks on this new journey'. Back then, whilst Mummy and Daddy interpreted this as being Mummy holding a new and different role in her career in Shanghai, Sister Eileen from our cell group, gave us a different perspective - that maybe God could be speaking about Mummy having a baby, which would itself be a totally new and challenging role to her.
  2. After we began our new lives in Shanghai, Mummy and Daddy had been trying hard for little Matthias (back then, also known as Darren, Keith, Andre before we decided on Matthias). However, humanly attempts have been futile and brought disappointments. One night however, Daddy had a dream. In Daddy's dream, Daddy was playing with a little girl and a little boy. Daddy reckoned that little girl was Zoey (whom Daddy adore very much), but Daddy wasn't sure who the little boy was. Nevertheless, Daddy passed it off as just another dream until Mummy announced the good news about Matthias 2 months later.

Indeed, it seems that God has everything in His greater plans which is being slowly revealed to us when the timing is right.

Now, Daddy's wishes for Christmas this year is for Matt to grow up to be a courageous, upright and compassionate man; that he would not just be a gift unto this family, but he would also be God's gift unto the world. May the Spirit of God dwell within this young man that he would be able to bring joy to the people around him and to be a helping hand to those who are in need.

Luv, Daddy, Shanghai 25.12.2007

Mummy's additional thoughts:

Indeed God has been gracious and good to us. It has been a year of trials and new challenges, be it in a new place, at work, or even taking on new responsibilities. But I must say God has been faithful in all aspects. To bless both YJ and I with favours with the people around us...

As usual, during our annual Xmas gathering at church, Pastor Pris asked me to share one thing that I want to thank God for in 2007. I must say I have to thank God for the addition of Matt into my life. His addition has helped me discover another arena of my life, the more "maternal" instinct. Like my good friend Michelle would say to me that she cannot imagine me being that maternal, but as she sees me being so patient with Matt, she was surprised. It's amazing how God creates a new life, from a fetus in my womb to a fully formed baby like Matt today, how he yawns, snores and eats and his every little action etc... Now I share every little smile and cry Matt has, however big or small, as he becomes a large part of my life. I really thank God for his hand on me during the entire pregnancy and delivery. As compared to some others I know, my pregnancy has been a relatively smooth one and that definitely has been a blessing cos I am so far away from home without family to help take care of me. It's been really amazing how God hears too. Although not a definite must, I have always wanted my first born to be a boy (due to the fact that I have always wanted an elder brother myself) and my baby to have lots of hair. So when my gynae tells me it's a boy and showed me through the ultrasound the hair baby has, I was telling myself, God is really good. He really hears every little single thought we have. Lastly, I also thank God for the favour with my boss in Shanghai for his understanding towards my pregnancy and need to return home to Singapore to deliver Matt.

0 comments: