The Cantonese Traditions for 满月...

This morning, after 奶奶 bathed me, 爷爷, 奶奶 and Mummy did a few funny things to me that they never did in the past. They say these need to be done at babies' 满月.
  1. I found my 2 sideburns missing. Then I realise when Mummy was holding me up, 奶奶 has cut them. Apparently, this is to mean "快高长大". Lucky Mummy decided to keep the rest of my hair and only cut a bit at the sideburns. See the photo below. My sideburns are missing now.
  2. 爷爷 took his shaver out and put it across my eyebrows. Ooops, let me check out in the mirror. Are my eyebrows still there? Luckily, they are. 爷爷 did that action just for a 意识. This will mean so that I can grow up to be a "醒目仔" (in Cantonese; AKA being "streetsmart").

  3. Then 奶奶 did something even more funny. She took a hard boiled egg and rubbed it all over my face. Hmmm, I have no bruises on my face, nor do I have teeth to bite the egg, what's the egg for, I wondered. Then she told Mummy it's so that my face will be "smooth smooth" like the hard boiled egg. See the remnants of the egg on my face...

0 comments: