Searching for a School in Shanghai...

Until very recently, Mummy didn't believe that schooling was a big headache that any mummies can ever imagine. Since we returned to Shanghai two weeks ago, Mummy has been either spending her time, bringing me to the doctor's (I have been to the doctor's three times as I was down with a stomach virus...) or visiting potential schools in search of an "ideal" one for me to attend. All the schools are either full with long waiting lists or too far away or too expensive. Mummy finally knew how other mummies felt about schooling in Shanghai.

Mummy brought me to visit Elite Happy Kids and Happy Marian today. Both were located about 10 minutes walk from Mummy's office in the XuHui area, which was a good thing as Mummy can drop me off at school in the morning on her way to work and then get the school bus to send me back home in the afternoon. Of course, that is not going to last, as Mummy's company is going to be shifting offices to Pudong next summer. But I guess till then, we will have to find a school for me in Puxi.

Both Elite Happy Kids and Happy Marian are housed in old houses in the French Concession and Huai Hai area respectively, with large play areas in the garden and nicely decorated indoor facilities. I have blended myself in when I saw the toys and the motor cars I can play with. Some boys at Elite Happy Kids even helped themselves to the toy cars I brought along with me. Elite Happy Kids is a place that more westerners send their kids to, so true enough, Mummy saw that for the Strawberry class that I am going to attend, a large majority are western kids. In comparison, Happy Marian is a school with a more balanced co-hort of asian versus western kids. Mummy has kind of decided since Daddy and 婆婆 speaks a lot to me in Mandarin, a more westernised environment would be a good balance for me to pick up more English at this age. So we have decided to take that last space in Elite Happy Kids. Yippeee, I will be starting school in a few days time...

1 comments:

Jo said...

Hi,
I tried to google for info on Elite Happykids and i came across your blog! Our sons are born about a month apart. Mine's on Xmas Eve. ;)

I'm thinking of sending my son to school...probably next year. We're also Singaporeans relocated here (where my husband's work is). We're living in Xietu Road (Luwan District), so i was actually hoping to find something nearby. I havent been to see any though. Probably will start soon...

I felt that the international schools or "somewhat better" schools are really over-priced! Wanna ask you which ones you went to see...and which are the ones you have also shortlisted??? Can you email me at jo_is_blabbering@hotmail.com

Thanks and have a great week ahead!

jo ;)